Cheryl Cole returned to the red carpet in glittering style last night at the exclusive Nobu restaurant in London’s West End for the launch of her new jewellery range called Promise which is a capsule ring collection she’s designed for luxury jewellers de Grisogono.
No idea of prices yet, but the company paid her £250,000 for 30 minutes work earlier this year so they won’t be cheap!
She was joined at the event by Girls Aloud members Kimberley Walsh and Nicola Roberts, X Factor judge Louis Walsh and interior designer Kelly Hoppen.
Men’s jewellery used to be limited to either rings or watches, but nowadays they have a much wider selection to choose from ranging from rings, necklaces, earrings, bracelets and cufflinks. The main differences between men and women’s jewellery are the size, and it usually has a larger, wider and bolder design.
If you are a buying a piece of jewellery for a man you need to consider what kind of image does he like to project. Would he prefer the elegant look wearing a tailored suit and shirt which has its cuffs finished off with a pair of diamond cufflinks, or would he prefer a gold necklace or single diamond stud earring to gives his clothes some panache.
And men’s diamond rings can be worn at any time as an engagement ring or as a right finger ring for any occasion. There are some very elaborate diamond designs which lend themselves more to evening wear like the one picture, or you can opt for an understated one which can be worn all the time.
Some men prefer white gold or platinum to yellow gold so also take this into account when making your selection.
The beautiful topaz gemstone comes in various colours: yellow, yellow, brown, green, blue, red and pink … and sometimes it has no colour at all.
My favourite colour is the blue topaz which is the birthstone for December and which supposedly has various healing powers such as curing insanity, treating asthma, strengthening vision and alleviating insomnia. It is said to dispel sadness, anger and nocturnal fears, to warn its wearer of poisons and protect them from sudden death. It is reputed to make men handsome and intelligent and sterile women fertile and happy.
Topaz can be found in Brazil, Nigeria, Sri Lanka, Mexico, Pakistan, China, and the United States and is said to symbolize love and fidelity. It is one of the gemstones which form the foundations of the twelve gates to the Holy City of the New Jerusalem.
Blue topaz comes in three colour three types which are Sky Blue, Swiss Blue and London Blue which is often used as a less expensive substitute for sapphire and is the deepest one.
If you are a bit shy or have trouble striking up a conversation then a good talking point can be a piece of striking or unusual jewellery. For example:
• If you are an animal lover then a cat, dog, fish or bird animal pendant can give you something on which to base your conversation
• The same applies if you are a sporting enthusiast as there are also sorts of themed charms like golf clubs, footballs, tennis racquets you can wear
• Zodiac jewellery can help you make small talk about birthstones, etc.
• Be bold and wear a piece of jewellery that grabs attention like a large cocktail ring or pair of chandelier earrings. The bigger and brighter the piece of jewellery the more attention it will draw.
So the motto is if you want to become more social, wear brighter jewellery or pieces that helps you start conversations.
Because there are so many gemstones it can be a bit confusing when choosing which to buy. Their prices are determined by: size, cut, quality (colour/clarity/treatments) and type, so here are some simple guidelines that should help:
1. Make sure that the colours of gemstones like sapphires, emeralds, amethysts, aquamarines, tsavorite and rubies are intense and vibrantly coloured. The more depth of colour and clarity the better the gemstone.
2. Pay attention to the cut as well as the clarity of the gemstones and make sure they have as few inclusions as possible.
3. Because rubies, emeralds and sapphire gemstones are deep in colour choose other stones and a setting that offers a perfect contrast. Clear diamonds and white or yellow gold re the most popular choices.
4. One larger stone is usually worth more than 2 smaller stones of half the larger stones weight.